Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Almost Perfect - Brian Katcher


Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher is a terrifying and amazing book. I gush about this book not because it is one of my favorites, but because it is so well-written and so sharp. Hits the nail right on the head, and then some.

I've read a lot of books that handle tough issues. But I always feel like those are elements of character to make it interesting (whether it be anorexia, cutting, etc.) But the question of sexuality in Almost Perfect is ingrained into the storyline. It is torn apart and reassembled and dissected and molded into the story. Katcher sucessfully divulges the black and the white. He makes us feel GUILTY - which, good writing can do.

Even though it's been a few months since I've read this book, sometimes I go back and think about what had happened and how I wish it could've gone differently. It's a very haunting and eerie book, that latches onto your mind and makes you think and think and think about it.

But, as I said - it is a bit of one of those in-between topics that some people may feel uncomfortable with, which is fine. But if you'd like a challenge yourself, or are genuinely just interested, this is an excellent book with an excellent story.

No comments:

Post a Comment